A Doctor of Philosophy degree is the highest academic degree anyone can earn. It is a goal for a select group of individuals who are on a never-ending quest for knowledge, and seek the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the lives of others by becoming a professor.
The journey to PhD is a rigorous path that requires extended study, intense intellectual effort and an exceptional commitment to becoming a respected academic leader. There are also many advantages of entering into a business PhD program:
- Most universities do NOT charge tuition for doctoral students.
- Most universities DO provide stipends for doctoral students.
- You do NOT need an MBA to enter a doctoral program.
- Your corporate experience and maturity will be highly valued.
Less than one percent of the population will earn a PhD degree, simply because of the arduous demands of time, energy and intellect. However, those who do reach this level of accomplishment and become professors play an increasingly important role in:
- Mentoring the next generation of business leaders.
- Preparing students for opportunities within a diverse labor market.
- Creating a foundation for ongoing student success – in work and in life.
- Giving back to the community through knowledge and education.
Professors can enjoy excellent work/life balance and time to pursue their own interests in research and other ventures. Salaries for PhDs that work in academia are also very attractive:
AVERAGE FULL-TIME BUSINESS FACULTY SALARIES (BASED ON NINE-MONTH CONTRACTS): PROFESSOR (2013-2014)